SEO Alumni Entering PhD Programs
See SEO alums who entered PhD programs in recent years HERE
Graduate Program Application Guidelines
Fee Waiver Information
Some institutions give application fee waivers only for a demonstrated financial need, but others give fee waivers based on participating in certain educational programs. (The RISE and Bridge programs are part of the NIH MBRS program.) If you need a verification letter for a fee waiver to apply to a graduate program, contact the SEO Office. If you are a Genentech Foundation Scholar, see the Genentech Scholars webpage.
- SF State does NOT have fee waivers for MS applications.
- UCSF fee waiver information HERE
- UC Berkeley fee waiver information HERE
- Stanford University fee waiver information HERE
- UC Davis fee waiver information HERE
- (Project 1,000 Applications are no longer available)
Based on the current literature it is clear the general Graduate Record Exam (GRE) is biased against women and minorities and also lacks predictive value. We support dropping the use of the GRE in applications and review of applicants to STEM graduate programs. To this end, we participate in the efforts to remove GRE requirements at all graduate programs in STEM. The NSF has dropped the use of the GREs from consideration of the NSF GRFP application and NIH has dropped the GRE from both T-32 and F-31 fellowship applications.
A running list (GRExit) of all the graduate (MS & PhD) programs who have dropped the GRErequirement is available. GRExit: For mostly biology programs click HERE and another for physics programs click HERE
Beyond the GRE
Finding effective ways to include students who will thrive in STEM PhD programs with or without GRE test scores. See the webpage HERE.
Other Graduate School Resources
- Institute for Broadening Participation HERE - a website to increase diversity in the STEM workforce by connecting underrepresented students with STEM funding and research opportunities.
Undergraduate scholarships and tips on applying HERE
Graduate fellowships and tips on applying HERE
Video tutorial on how to use the IBP advanced search page HERE
Internships and Postdoc Opportunities
Research internships and postdoc opportunities HERE.