- Sample list of scholarship program elements for undergraduates
- Sample list of scholarship program elements for graduates
- Gradaute School Application suggestions
Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR) requirements
All SEO scholars are trained in the responsible conduct of research.
For NSF scholarships (STC CCC) the students have to complete a CITI training form and submit it to ORSP within the first month and then participate in RCR training throughout the year.
For NIH (MARC, RISE, Bridge) and privately-funded scholarships the RCR training occurs throughout the year and the forms are due to ORSP in the spring.
If you have questions about RCR training for your student, please contact the SEO Office.
NIH Public Access Policy
Effective April 7, 2008 under federal law, NIH requires that the author's final version of any peer-reviewed journal article resulting from NIH-funded activities MUST be submitted to the PubMed Central (PMCID) repository, where it will be made available to the public within 12 months after the journal article is published. If you have any questions about this policy, please contact the SEO Office before your publication goes to press.
Please note: Funded students should cite their fellowship grant numbers on posters and in publications. See the instructions below.
- NIH Public Access Policy website
- Public Access Policy FAQs
- Journals that systematically submit articles to PubMed Central
Sample wording from the NIH for publishers that do not automatically grant open access for the journal articles:
“The Journal acknowledges that the Author retains the right to provide a copy of the final peer-reviewed manuscript to the NIH upon acceptance for Journal publication, for public archiving in PubMed Central as soon as possible but no later than 12 months after publication by Journal.”
Scholars are encouraged to present their research at a professional scientific conference or meeting each year. Approval for travel funds is conditional and requires the scholarship director's prior consent. Scholars need to request the funds for travel at least 30 days ahead of time.
- Student Conference Request Form for virtual conferences and meetings
- Travel Request Form for Student Training Programs (For non-COVID-19 times)
- SF State Request for Authorization to Travel (RAT)
- Release of Liability for Travel
- Certification of Non-Original or Electronic Receipts for Travel
- Tips for travel from SF State
Student Research Supply Funds
Most of the SEO scholarships include student research supply money. If you need to purchase research supplies for your SEO scholar, please contact the SEO Office for more information.