For students majoring in Biology, Chemistry & Biochemistry, Computer Science, Math and Physics.
Deadline: Applications are accepted year-round, but the Fall 2021 deadline is April 2, 2021.
Purpose: To prepare students from underrepresented groups, first generation college students, and students with disabilities for biomedical careers by providing academic support and a stimulating research experience. The goal of the program is to prepare each participant for entrance into a competitive graduate program and successful completion of a PhD in the biomedical or physical sciences, or an MD, DDS and DVM degree.
- Summer Bridge for 8 weeks (Students receive $2,000) before starting freshman year:
- Pre-calculus (Math 199)
- Preparation for College Chemistry (Chem 100)
- $5,700/year stipend ($300/month academic year and $1,000/month during summers)
- Summer directed research program at SF State after freshman year
- Academic research until graduation
- Annual attendance at a major scientific meeting to share research results
Must be a SF State student (or currently applying to become one)
Must be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident or DACA
Must commit to research one year or more
Must also apply to the SF State Metro Academy. See more information and how to apply HERE.
- The application deadline was 4/2/21. For more information about our fellowships, you can submit an Applicant Profile throughout the year: HERE
- The application includes a brief Statement of Purpose describing your educational goals, career goals and interest in science.
We strongly encourage you to apply on-line, however if you are unable to do so please contact the SEO Office for an alternate, paper application packet.
Metro College Partnership
All students applying for the Genentech Foundation Freshman Scholarship must also apply to the SF State Metro Academy. See more information HERE.