Scholars are encouraged to present their research at a professional scientific conference or meeting each year. Approval for travel funds is conditional and requires the scholarship director's prior consent. Scholars need to request the funds for travel at least 30 days ahead of time.
As of June 1, 2021, CSU pandemic-related travel restrictions have ended. Authority and responsibility for SF State travel is now at the campus level. The travel ban has been lifted. Reasonable and necessary travel may resume according to the CSU Travel Policy including the timely submission of an ORSP Request for Authorization to Travel (RAT) form or UCORP Dometstic Travel Authorization (DTA) form before making any travel arrangements.
Travelers are responsible for complying with SF department of Public Health orders and the health orders for their destinations. Travelers should adhere to the latest travel guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
- Student Conference Request Form for virtual conferences and meetings
and Technology Acquisition Review (TAR) form for "attending" a virtual conference
- Travel Request Form for Student Training Programs for in-person travel expenses
For ORSP funded students:
SF State Request for Authorization to Travel (RAT) with ORSP funding
- Release of Liability for Travel
- Certification of Non-Original or Electronic Receipts for Travel
- Driver Safety Program and Certificate
- Travel Driving FAQs
For Genentech Foundation Scholars funded through UCORP:
Logos Available for Use
- A Google Drive folder with official SF State & SEO Office logos available for use HERE. Please feel free to use these on your summer presentations!
Poster Printing Information
- Free Poster printing through the Biology Department printer (Currently located on HH 2nd floor - borrow the key from the Biology Stockroom)
- Poster printing in the Cesar Chavez Student Union, Ctrl+P Print Shop (Room M110)
- Poster printing flyer from Ctrl+P 2019
- Poster printing though the SF State Library Digital Media Studio/Maker Space (Lib 280)
- Poster printing through OfficeMax Impress on Geary Blvd. at Arguello Blvd.
- Poster printing flyer from OfficeMax Impress 2019
- Poster making tips: HERE and tips for abstracts, posters and getting the most out of a professional, scientific meeting: HERE
- Citing grant numbers in papers and posters HERE
Sample Conferences for SEO Scholars
- SF State COSE Student Project Showcase
- California State University Program for Education and Research in Biotechnology (CSUPERB) Symposium
- Society for Advancement of Chicanos/Hispanics and Native Americans in Science Conference (SACNAS)
- Annual Biomedical Research Conference for Minority Students (ABRCMS)
- The American Society for Cell Biology (ASCB) Cell Bio Conference
- American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAS)
- American Chemical Society Meeting (ACS)
- American Society for Cell Biology (ASCB)
Other Sources of Funding for Travel
- Check to see if the conference or meeting has a travel scholarship for which you can apply. Some conferences restrict your eligibility for a travel scholarship if you are already funded by an NIH grant.
- Check out the CSUPERB Student Travel Grant Program with deadlines in the Fall and Spring.
- Watch for the COSE Dean's Office IRA Travel Award application with a deadline in September of each year.