For Graduate students in Biology, Chemistry & Biochemistry, Computer Science, Math and Physics.
Purpose: To prepare students from underrepresented groups (African-American, Native American, Hispanic American and Pacific Islanders) and students with disabilities for biomedical careers by providing academic support and a stimulating research experience. The goal of the program is to prepare each participant for entrance into a competitive graduate program and successful completion of a PhD in the biomedical or physical sciences.
- $19,200/year plus 60% or more of in-state tuition
- Summer and Academic year research
- Graduate placement activities
- Travel to a major scientific meeting to share research results
Must be a SF State student (or are currently applying to become one)
Must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
Must commit to research for one year or more
All applications require the following:
- Apply to SF State University, if you have not already done so. Find CSU/University application information HERE.
- Apply to the College of Science and Engineering department of your choice. More information HERE.
As you complete the online application, there are sections for you to upload the statement of purpose and transcripts. If you have any issues, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Personal Statement/Statement of Purpose describing:
- Your interest in science and your scientific experiences
- Your career goals (you may have many or none – be honest) and why you want a career in scientific research
- How participation in the SEO programs will benefit your future goals
3. Copy of your unofficial transcripts and
- All Science Transcript Form HERE (optional) - or you can submit the same form used for the Biology Department graduate program application HERE. Complete the form by listing all college-level science courses, the grade you received, and the institution where taken. There is also an online GPA calculator with examples HERE. Save the form to your computer first before you complete it to make sure that the data saves.
4. Two letters of recommendation emailed directly to email@example.com.
We strongly encourage you to apply on-line, however if you are unable to do so please contact the SEO Office for an alternate, paper application packet.