For Graduate students in biology and chemistry & biochemistry.
Purpose: To prepare students from underrepresented groups (African-American, Native American, Hispanic American and Pacific Islanders) and students with disabilities for biomedical careers by providing academic support and a stimulating research experience. The goal of the program is to prepare each participant for entrance into a competitive graduate program and successful completion of a PhD in the biomedical or physical sciences.
- $21,000/year plus in-state tuition
- Summer and Academic year research
- Graduate placement activities
- Travel to a major scientific meeting to share research results
Must be a SF State student (or are currently applying to become one)
Must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
Must commit to research for one year or more
All applicants are required to submit the following:
You can upload the following items with the online application or email them directly to email@example.com :
- Statement of Purpose describing your educational goals, career goals and interest in science. Also describe how participation in the SEO programs will benefit your future goals.
- All Science Transcript Form (HERE) - or you can submit the same form used for the Biology Department graduate program application (HERE). Complete the form by listing all college-level science courses, the grade you received, and the institution where taken. There is also an online GPA calculator with examples here.
- Unofficial copies of your transcripts
- Two letters of recommendation. Download the SEO Recommendation Form as a PDF (HERE) and as a Word document (HERE). Please have two (or up to three) recommenders send the recommendations directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We strongly encourage you to apply on-line, however if you are unable to do so please contact the SEO Office for an alternate, paper application packet.